Monday, March 9, 2009

I've Hatched a Plan!

Dear friends and family,

When I was at Carson-Newman my college roomie used to call me "plan woman." I was always planning ahead. Spontaneous was never used to describe me. Ironically planning ahead is one of the best ways I am coping with breast cancer. Taking medicines at just the right time, not driving in the afternoons when I get drowsy,taking naps. All these have helped. I am also always looking forward to something to keep my spirits up like coop, church, pep moms functions or the garden we just started in the side yard.

Well I've already hatched a plan for next weekend. The Women's Expo is taking place in Knoxville. Robin Roberts, a co-host on Good Morning America and breast cancer survivor, is going to be speaking there. When I was first diagnosed and told Laura and Leslie I would be loosing my hair the first words out of their mouths were "You're just like Robin." We had watched her own breast cancer journey unfold on Good Morning America last year.

I have heard that they are giving away tickets to breast cancer survivors for the expo. I am sure there will be a sea of ladies in pink there. I've decided to wear my shirt and give out some to any survivors who might be interested. I would like to give an extra one to Robin Roberts as well.

The only hitch is my next chemo treatment is this Thursday. Saturday is usually the day when the bone pain and other side effects start kicking in. I will be on four medications (taken 2-3 times a day each) and can't drive. My sister Shannon is going to drive me and keep me company. Please pray that I will feel well enough to attend. I think this is a great opportunity to reach out to other breast cancer patients.

Please remember two others today. The first is a relative of mine named Marian. The second is a man in my community group named Robert. Both are undergoing medical testing. Robert's is today and Marian's is tomorrow morning at 8:30 am. Please pray that these turn out well. Lots of love,

Kerry

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kerry,

    I haven't written for a while, but I have been checking on you every day. I have seen so many things that are just wonderful on your site. I loved the wigs for the girls. That was a very special gift. I loved the shawl that comforted Leslie. I also went through some tough times comforting my little ones.It breaks your heart, doesn't it? But in our situation, we continue to pray for others now, when we see an ambulance or a medivac helicopter, we pray for the patient on board. So, it has made them more considerate children, I think. I believe that Laura and Leslie will grow from their experiences too.

    I think that your plan sounds WONDERFUL. I will be praying that you are feeling good that day (and also throughout this next treatment.)
    I will also pray for the others that you have mentioned on the site. You are so good to remember them.

    As always, thank you for sharing your life with us. We are praying for you and we won't quit.

    Love,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Kerry,

    God will give you the strength that you need to be able to go to this Women's Expo because this is where He wants you to be so He can be glorified through you in this journey. Nothing pleases Him more than to have His child work for Him, so peace, comfort and strength will be with you.

    "Find Rest, O my soul, in God alone;
    my hope comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will not be shaken" PS 62: 5-6

    Much love,
    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. My precious Kerry, I too, haven't written in a while, but keep you in my prayers. Folks! I am Marian, the lady she ask ya'll to pray for.
    Believe me, I really felt those prayers this morning, so very much, and God has already answered. I DO NOT have blockages in either of my legs :>)). My problem is my weight!!!!
    Yep, my weight. My doctor said if I would lose 100 pounds, I would be a new person, and I would not have the pain in my legs anymore. I know this is a lot to have to lose, but with prayers going up from my church, my family, and my friends, God is going to give me the initiative to start eating right, and to do my exercises. I can do it with God as my pilot, not my co-pilot. He is strength, and my rock.
    Kerry, how sweet of you to ask for prayer for me on your blog. You are always thinking of others. I have sent up a very special prayer for you to not have the bone pain, and other side effects that go with these chemo treatments. I feel like Lorrie said that God is going to let you be able to go Saturday, because you have such a ministry for Him, and His name indeed will be glorified. I have one sister (6 yrs younger), and she is my best friend, and she keeps you in her prayers also.
    You are loved very much, and certainly being prayed for by many. Let us know how it goes this Saturday.
    pounds, I would be a new person

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aunt Kerry,

    Psalm 62:8 says, "Oh my people, trust Him all the time. Pour out your longings before Him, for He can help!

    Love,

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kerry,

    I am glad you have a plan! I will be praying that you have the endurance to go to the expo. I know it would be a huge encouragement to you.
    You and Shannon need to stay out of trouble down there!
    I will be praying for your friends and family as well. Tests can be so stressful.
    You are in my thoughts constantly.
    Remember how much I love you,

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete