Saturday, March 7, 2009

Bearing Each Other's Burdens (or I wish I could be an Octopus!)

Hello friends and family!

What a blessed couple of days I have had. I had a fantastic visit with my parents on Thursday and two days of fun and fellowship with others. I am still doing well and starting to gear up for my next treatment when I will be halfway done with chemotherapy! I am continually blessed by everyone's generosity, everything from cupcakes & food to inspirational cd's and devotional studies have come my way the last couple of days and I am so grateful. Donations, orders for the shirts and crosses continue to come in. I will give you the new numbers as soon as I get them but I am sure we have shattered the 100 goal on shirts now! Yippee!!

Today I was thinking about all the people who have come up to me recently and told me they were praying for me. Many of them are going through incredible hardships of their own: long illness, financial hardships, loss of loved ones. I am constantly humbled and blown away by these people who are asking me how I am doing when I know their situation must be so much harder.

There was a mother at coop yesterday from a single-income family whose husband has been laid off for a few weeks. I just found out about it yesterday. She has a son who asks me every week "So Ms. Kerry is that cancer gone yet?" I always makes me smile. She was saying how God had spoken to her in January to get their income tax done early and how they had felt led (personally and by their church) to really save up. As a result she said they had enough to get by for a couple of months. They are about to take a trip across the country to see if the job prospects for her husband would be better there. She just kept saying "God is so good, isn't He..He's so good." I know exactly what she means but I had to wonder how would I feel in that situation. Could I just leave my home, family & friends and just trust that God would provide? Would I have her faith in that situation?

Galations 6:2 tells us "Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ." I just feel like I have a thousand arms wrapped around me all the time helping me bear my burden. My heart is heavy with all the other burdens out there too. It makes me wish I could be an Octopus! The neat things is as long as we're praying for each other it is like we all have exta arms, reaching out to & supporting each other. Have a blessed weekend. Lots of love,

Kerry

6 comments:

  1. Kerry girl! you are something else. I am always amazed when I read your blog, and there is always something that really catches my eye, like "the couple leaving their family, friends, etc., and headed across country for
    a possibility of her husband find work". I too, wonder if I would have that kind of faith!
    Its sayings like this that make me realize that I am not the only one who ask questions! I truly hope that I would have the faith, because God promised us "I will never leave nor forsake you." We serve an AWESOME God, and I am so glad He is my Lord and Saviour, and I can call upon Him anytime, day or night. You know, thats a mighty good feeling. Kerry, we love you, and you are kept in our prayers. This is truly a beautiful weekend (at least here in Augusta, Ga :-)) ) that God has allowed us to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerry,

    It sounds like you are having a great time down there in Tennessee. I am not surprised, Tennessee is a great place (just like Virginia).
    I have decided that our relationship with God and each other is the best part of life. I am so thankful to all of the people who have supported you, despite the seriousness of their own situations. That is true generosity.
    I will pray for the family looking for work. I know that God will make a way for them. I, too, and amazed at their generous spirt and courageous faith.
    I am praying that your chemotherapy is as uneventful as possible. We have to get you through it so we can go to Roanoke! There is fun to be had!
    I hope you have a wonderful day, Kerry. Remember how much I love you,

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry,

    I, too, was touched by the story of the lady at co-op who's husband has been out of work for several weeks. She truly was a witness to God's love and control. I will keep her and her family in my prayers, as well.

    I'm so glad that, like in Gal. 6:2, you can feel other people carrying your burden. That is truly a testimony of God's love to watch other people praying for you and giving words of encouragement.... just as you do for them.

    I pray that your 3rd chemotherapy treatment will go as well as your first two have. I know you are glad to be almost half way through.

    We are praying for Randy, Laura and Leslie, too. I'm thankful that you were able to tell Leslie the beautiful vision your father had and that she was able to visualize it with the shawl that was given to you! God is truly amazing! He knows exactly what we need even before we know! Glory be to God!

    Love,
    Brooke :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Kerry,
    It never seizes to amaze me after reading your blog that God is doing Great and Wonderful things through you. Although you are still continuing to walk in your own valley you still shine as a light to others. That is what true Chrisitanity is all about. Without your blog people would not be praying for this dear couple who are traveling across the US to find work. You are so right that we are to carry one another's burdens, because sometimes we can't carry them alone.

    I continue to uplift you in prayer as you go for your next round of chemo (almost done) Praise God! I pray that the side effects will be short lived. I know you have a big week-end coming up with Shannon and Meredith so my prayer will be that God will give you the power and strength to be well enough to have some fun.

    Much love,
    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Kerry,
    I had a horrible morning. I let fear set in and became overwhelmed by my circomstances. It sounds silly, but sometimes if I don't have things just the way I plan, I begin to doubt everything: my ability as a mom and teacher, a wife and daughter.

    I decided to check the blog because I was sick of being self absorbed. I needed to pray for others and be thankful. It's amazing how God works. There is something deeply moving about sharing life amongst believers. I love to read your Godincidences. Today, I was struck by the idea of "bearing one another's burdens" and decided to study it further.

    God led me to Paul's second letter to Corinth. Paul praises Him and identifies Him as "the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort." He says, God "comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows. If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort." How's that for octopus arms!

    How, by His Spirit, you comfort me, Kerry. And I pray that I, too, may comfort you. This is found in Romans chapter 8"

    "And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you... For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, 'Abba, Father.' The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory. I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us."

    Did your Dad mention what you were reading in his vision? What a comforting thought. Leslie, too, has received the comfort of God!

    May you continue to feel His comfort in your suffering. I pray that the future shawl you will be wearing will be a reminder of how the Almighty wrapped you close in His arms during this time.

    Love,
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi kerry and crowd,
    just wanting you to know that i pray for you each day for courage, strenth, and peace.Really want to talk to you one weekend sometime soon. We felt like you have so much on your mind we hate to call out of the blue. You're on our minds every minute.
    We love you Kerry so much. give Randy and kids big big hugs from us.Love Pat in Lexington

    ReplyDelete